- Charge is a scalar Quantity.
- Charge is conserved.
- Charge can not exist without of mass. Charge can not exist without mass though mass can exist without charge.
- Charge is transferable. If a charged body is put in contact with an another body, then charge can be transfered to another body.
- Charge is always associated with mass
- So the presence of charge itself is a convincing proof of existence of mass.
- In charging, the mass of a body changes.
- When body is given positive charge its mass decreases.
- When body is given negative charge its mass increases.
6. Charge is quantised. the minimum value of charge is fixed that is know as quanta, it represented by e.
The quantization of electric charge is the property by virtue of which all free charges are integral multiple of “e” . Thus charge q of a body is always given by e .
q = ne n = positive integer or negative integer
The quantum of charge is the charge that an electron or proton carries.
Note : Charge on a proton = – charge on an electron = 1.6 × 10–19 C
In an isolated system, total charge does not change with time, though individual charge may change, charge can neither be created nor destroyed. Conservation of charge is also found to hold good in all types of reactions either chemical(atomic) or nuclear. No exceptions to the rule have ever been found.
7. Charge is invariant . Charge is independent of frame of reference, charge on a body does not change what ever be its speed.
8. Similar charges repel each other while dissimilar attract